Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Miss Kim Learns Stuff

My vocabulary has grown by three words lately: pellucid, obtunded, and ablation.

The way to sex an octopus is to look at the tip of the third right arm.  If there are suckers all the way to the tip, it's a female.

Human tears produced by emotions are chemically different than those produced by eye irritation.

I've come across, but am still struggling to fully understand, the Levy distribution.  Sometimes, if I read the definition slowly, it makes sense.  Otherwise, not so much.

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

pellucid shouldn't mean something as pretty as it actually means.

kmkat said...

I love learning new things -- thanks for these! As it turns out, my one semester of statistics doesn't even come close to understanding the Levy distribution. Maybe Elder Son, who is way smarter and more educated than I am, could explain it.

Speak!

 I came across a sentence reading today that said, "Shakespeare made Hamlet say..." That struck me. Writers make characters say th...