Monday, October 16, 2017

Nostalgia

Since being laid up with these infernal ribs, I've had time to reflect on a few things.  First, Monday is the worst day to try and get a call through to a doctor's office.  This was a lesson I learned when Briton and Hannah were little, and I would try to get in touch with the pediatrician after waiting anxiously through the weekend.  Me and every other anxious parent.  It never dawned on me that the same phenomenon would be at work with grown-ups' doctors.

(If I go to the office tomorrow, they'll "try to work me in" sometime during the day.  Let the packing of the knitting begin.)

Second, there is surprisingly little one can do that doesn't involve stretching or torquing one's side.  Or maybe that's just me.  (Lots of wincing going on.)

Third, do any of you remember Colorforms?  Colorforms and coloring books got lots of use from me when I was a sick child.  LOVED Colorforms.  In first grade, my best friend Debbie came along with my parents and me for a weekend in Memphis, and we wore our Colorforms out on the way over and the way back.  I wish I had a set right now.  Coloring books I've got.  I even found an old Spirograph a couple of years ago.  But no Colorforms.  I'd sigh heavily, but it's painful just now.


6 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I LOVED Colorforms. Of course.

teabird said...

Colorforms!!!

kmkat said...

People tend to "take care of things" at the beginning of the week -- doctors' appointments, checking on that unrecognized charge on their Visa bill, etc. -- and make "fun" calls as the week wears on -- reservations for dinner, set up a play date, etc.

Back before I had my hip replacement, I was sitting at the dining room table one day wrapping Christmas presents. You wouldn't think that would irritate the hip, but it did, big time.

Bridget said...

Colorforms rock!

kathy b said...

I LOVED colorforms too. MISS COOKIES KITCHEN especially!
Fireman fell on his new mountain bike friday and just fessed up to me now. He is so difficult to keep down. So two of my dears are sore with ribs. ouch it is supposed to be soooo painful. He slept in the lazy boy last night and felt much better about his level of sleep

kathy b said...

Xray confirms he broke 6th rib. MEds for pain for sleeping. Nurse Kathy on duty. Patient not good at following instructions. ....

The Shared Experience

When my college roommate knit her first scarf, it was a super-long Dr. Who number, all in garter.  She was so proud;  I was proud of and hap...