Thursday, September 5, 2024

Turning Stuff Into Other Stuff

Araignee reminded me that, along with potato, there is also yarn made of chitin and some made with milk.  Like her, I wonder how milk can be spun, and no, I won't do research to find out.  Some things need to stay magic.  

When Stitches South was in Atlanta, my daughter went with me one year, and got some milk yarn.  I remember it feeling sort of like soft cotton.  I got myself some stainless steel from the Habu booth.  It got paired with something I already had and made into a scarf which, if I recall correctly, I gave to a student.  Habu has some remarkable things.  The last time I checked, you can get horse hair and pine needles.  The latter I can rake up by the bag full around my house.

The last few days, there's been a breeze each day that sort of hint at Autumn.  I say this cautiously, as Summer sometimes teases us.



4 comments:

Wool and Steel said...

We had some nice cool days, but summer is coming back next week. I am so ready for elreal fall.

Araignee said...

I woke up to high humidity and warmer temperatures today. Just when I was getting used to cooler weather, Mother Nature had other ideas.

Delighted Hands said...

One of the unusual fibers I have spun is called Seacell fiber--kind of like the bamboo but more silk like. It is spun commercially for sports clothing! I love the Maple leaves photo!

Lorette said...

“They” also make knitting needles out of milk casein protein. They.taste awful when you park them in your mouth.