Tuesday, September 3, 2024

Potato Yarn?

Yes, my friends.  Yarn from tubers.  New Scientist says so.  Not only did I just learn about it, but I also learned that there is a part of the potato plant that is inedible and unusable.  And that's what the yarn is made from.  The thought of how much an environmental footprint yarn makes had never crossed my mind, but evidently potato yarn lessens it.

I have knit with, and really like, banana fiber.  It's pricey, but I do like it a lot.
Hooray for vegetation and people who think outside the regular spinning box.

(Notice how I am not Tiny Needle-ing.  I'm still working The Blue.)

4 comments:

Wool and Steel said...

I have knit with yarn made from shrimp shells (chitin) and I have seen yarn made from milk fiber. Who knew milk even HAD fiber?

Kim in Oregon said...

Having grown potatoes, I have no idea what part might be used for yarn.

Araignee said...

I've seen folks spin their pet's fur (which I think is odd) but potatoes and bananas? That's new to me.

Delighted Hands said...

I saw this article and would love to fondle a skein of that potato yarn!