I'm Halfway Through the Letters

My biography journey has rounded the corner of "M" and am now at "N."  The former was a biography of Delbert McClinton, the latter Sam Neill's memoir.  The Mcclinton book spent a little too much time on the history of Texas for me.  Neill is proving as witty and delightful as you might expect.

Do you refer to Halloween as a holiday?  I can't, because to me a holiday means not having to go to work.  You know: businesses closed, no mail, that type of thing.

I was brought up in a house where my mother actively resented Halloween, and let her opinion be known each October.  She deeply resented having to buy and give candy to anyone who knocked on the door.  Briton, as a wee one, did not like other people not being dressed as themselves, and didn't like costumes for himself very much.  (Oh, the irony of growing into an actor. . .)  Hannah has always  loved dressing up for any reason.  Yearly trick-or-treating plans had to be balanced with extreme care.

Tonight, I am sitting on my heating pad, watching hockey while knitting, and, so far at least, there hasn't been a single knock on the door.


Comments

Dee said…
Halloween used to be my favorite holiday. That was before adults took over and turned it into a totally different thing from the kiddo candy walk. :::sigh:::

We don't get any kids at our house --- dead end street, houses only on one side, AND my long, LONG driveway. Steve's fire company had Truck-or-Treat and he said it was pretty well attended even with the cold misty rain.
Kim in Oregon said…
I never 'got' Halloween as a grown up. Maybe it is because I felt I was putting on a 'costume' every single day i went to work!

Popular posts from this blog

Look. . .