Thursday, July 27, 2023

Quick Question(s)

Pilot is on the mend;  thank you for helping out.  🐶 

I'm trying to put together an animal collage, and as I go through my pictures and stickers, I wonder

Are butterflies and birds animals?

Fish and other water-based creatures aren't being included.  No insects.  (Yes, I  know butterflies are often classified as bugs.)  I'm only hesitating on things with wings.  Except for bats.  Bats are animals.

For extra credit*, 

Are hot dogs sandwiches?

Is water wet?

How many holes does a straw have?

Is ice a rock?

Are muffins cupcakes (or vice versa)?


*Once a teacher, always a teacher.

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I think I learned that anything that reproduces sexually (although I'm sure we learned a different word in 1964, maybe 'mate') is an animals (and a list of other things too). I think that bugs/fish/birds are all animals (as are humans).

Are hot dogs sandwiches?In my view, sandwiches encompass anything on bread, so yes technically a hot dog is a sandwich but it is classified (in my head) as a 'hot sandwich' or a 'non traditional bread sandwich'.

Is water wet? Or is water the definition of wetness? The mind reels.

How many holes does a straw have? Interesting. It could be two (one on each end). If a cyclinder is considered a hole, then one big one. Just googled--a tube shaped object has one hole.

Is ice a rock? I think a rock has to have minerals in it, and ice has minerals, so yes.

Are muffins cupcakes (or vice versa)? Depends on the recipe! A muffin made out of cake batter is also a cupcake. But I think non-sweet muffins (like a corn muffin) which would never be a cake are not cupcakes. Google is no help on that one.

kmkat said...

I have wondered about the difference. between a muffin and a cupcake myself. Seems to me anything sweet is a cupcake, regardless of what it's called. Hear that, blueberry *muffin*?

Speak!

 I came across a sentence reading today that said, "Shakespeare made Hamlet say..." That struck me. Writers make characters say th...