90

Yesterday, I watched the original  "King Kong".  It's really very good.  I can recommend it if you're so interested.  And I can most certainly tell you why Fay Wray got the part of Ann.  She was very pretty, and a solid 1930s actress, but, man, could she scream.  Full-throated and powerful, those screeches.

Sunday, I had watched "Duck Soup," my favorite from beginning-to-end Marx Brothers film.  There are scenes, or moments, in all of the other films that I can never get enough of, but "Duck Soup" is top-notch throughout.  Okay, there's an extremely racist joke.  There's a troublesome musical number in "A Day at the Races," but has there been a better movie line than "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"?  "Swordfish" in "Horse Feathers, anyone?  "Make that three hard-boiled eggs" in "Monkey Business"?  "One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas" in "Animal Crackers"?  "Why a duck?" in "The Cocoanuts?

Both "King Kong" and "Duck Soup" came out in 1933. Ninety years ago.  And they still work.  If I reach 90, I hope I can say the same about myself.








Comments

kmkat said…
I loved the Marx Brothers. May need to see if our library has any.
Kim in Oregon said…
Years and years ago there was a Broadway musical called "A Day in Hollywood, A Night in the Ukraine." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Day_in_Hollywood_/_A_Night_in_the_Ukraine
You would have loved it.

Popular posts from this blog

Look. . .