Sunday, August 22, 2021

In Case You're Interested

Here's how the magic happens at contest HQ.

As nominations come in, the name of the nominee and the nominator(s) go onto an index card.  Since I gave him away as one of my entrants the other day, here's an example:

Yes, that's a coloring book underneath.  You relax your way, and I'll relax mine.

This is the stack for this year.  Eighty-two entries!

Each name is then transferred to a slip of paper, folded, and placed in a bowl,  

First, the seeds are placed in the bracket.  Then, a blind draw gets one slip of paper out at a time, and the rest of the names are put in.  I usually just move up and down and back and forth, to make things truly random.  This year, with so many entries, the bracket took two pages:
This necessitated moving the operation from my desk to the kitchen table.

Once the brackets are filled, I go back to the cards
to make sure no one's picks are matched up in the first round.

The process becomes highly secretive at this point.  Tap makes a periodic sweep of the perimeter here to be sure there are no spies afoot.  He got really excited about a squirrel in the front yard a few minutes ago; it took a while to convince him that Squirrels' Companion is a completely different deal and that we're okay.

Voting starts tomorrow!



1 comment:

kathy b said...

Interesting! I wondered how you bracketed!!! Fun

Minnows

 (Or, as my Southern self says, "minnas.").  My Twinster asked if the treats I talked about yesterday were made of minnows.  Actua...