Sunday, July 18, 2021

Word

I made some sweet potato bread yesterday with purple sweet potatoes.

I hoped for a darker hue, but this is okay.  It tastes kinda good, too.

The other day I was talking with someone about favorite words.  Even if you haven't thought about it too much, you probably have one.  Some of you/us may even keep lists of words we really like.  The words that are favorites of the person I was speaking with are favorites because of their meanings. My favorites, in contrast, are based on sound, how fun they are to say.  One of her favorites is "intrigue(s)," because of what it implies and shows about people.

My favorite word is "chthonic."  (I'm not having any luck linking to a sound file on how to say it, so you're on your own should you be interested.)  First of all, it looks SO cool.  And it sits on and rolls off the tongue in such a fun way.

Other favorites:
Jaw
Gendarmes
Shudder
Relentless
Shtetl

You?




 

3 comments:

Mereknits said...

I am more about words I can't stand. My family says them at every opportunity just to irritate me a bit. Tinkle, tender, succulent....... they all give me the creeps. My favorite word just might be a swear word because it is short and to the point and makes me feel so much better to say when I am mad!

kathy b said...

Jaguar: spoken as Jag -a-war

Bridget said...

I have become very fond of ichthyology.

What I Heard

For (probably) longer than I should have, I thought that piece of furniture was a "chester drawers." I once went bed frame shoppin...