Thursday, June 25, 2020

Size Matters

I have begun a subscription with Misfits, mainly to be sure there are always fresh fruit and fresh vegetables in the house.  My first delivery was yesterday, and it was so much fun unpacking the box.  Lettuce, squashes, limes, nectarines, tomatoes (SCORE!), a mango, and something I had to go to Facebook for help with:

Of course, once I was told these are golden beets, it made sense.  The problem, though, is that I don't like beets unless they're pickled.  Really don't like.  Facebook friends suggested simply roasting them, which I did today.  Turns out I can eat them like that!  As they got cold, they began to have that nasty dirt taste I've never been able to get past.  But I learned something and expanded my palate a wee bit.

Other than the beets, today's main news is this visitor.  He hung around the deck most of the morning and into the afternoon.

They look big in flight, but up close they're even larger than you'd think.  Sort of like not realizing how big a traffic light is until you see one on the ground.



4 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

I LOATTHEEEEE BEETS.

kathy b said...

No beets for me. TROY loves them. Is that your darling beautiful daughter!?

kmkat said...

Roasted veg is better than cooked any other way. Is that a turkey buzzard? I have never seen one close up.

Mereknits said...

I have a new love of beets as I have gotten older. That turkey vulture is huge. Stay safe.

Thrills are Sometimes Small

 Y'aaaall.  I got some Christmas crafting paper today and  my nails are nice and long. It's a nice day.