Tuesday, March 12, 2024

14 - 26

14.  Did I Ever Tell You This? by Sam Neill. (As charming as you'd expect, if you're a fan of Mr. Neill.  Which, of course, I am.)

15.  Confessions of an Actor by Laurence Olivier. (By many accounts, Olivier could be a prig, but he could also be funny and disarming.)

16.  Gregory Peck by Gary Fishgall. (Sometimes, I feel like I should stick to autobiographies.  Biographies often lack "something.")

17.  Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake by Anna Quindlen. (She's such a delightful writer.  For instance, she says our bodies are basically personality-delivery systems.)

18.  I Never Had It Made by Jackie Robinson  (There's a huge difference between what we know from the outside and what he felt living it.)

19. My Extraordinary Ordinary Life by Sissy Spacek. (When reading this, you realize her life has been kind of "normal."  Except, you know, for winning an Oscar.)

20.  Rough Draft by Katy Tur. (Some of her story I read in Unbelievable , but there's greater depth here.)

21.   Hands of My Father by Myron Uhlberg.  (A hearing child of deaf parents, and the day-to-day difficulties of both.)

22.  Her Little Majesty by Carroll Erickson. (Maybe my favorite of all these?  Queen Victoria is a fascinating figure.)

23.   Educated by Tara Westover. (Again, the social psychologist in me was engrossed while the plain ol' person was enraged.)

24.  The Autobiography of Malcolm X.  (I didn't read this as a companion to MLK's, but they are ripe for compare-and-contrast.  Compelling.)

25.  The Lost Garden by Laurence Yep.  (Beautifully written.  Yep felt the pull of two cultures growing up, and used both to create his novels.)

26.  Black Friend by Ziwe.  (Funny, but so serious.  Why do we treat one another like this?  And when will we stop?)

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

So many things added to my to-do list!

Kim in Oregon said...

Or my to-read list.

So Picky

It appears that a couple of my pets are ichthyosnobs.  Tap's fondness for sardines has been covered here, as I think, has Maddie's a...