Skip to main content

Snobbery Does Pay (and Cost)

During my teaching years, I had a number of deaf students, and, therefore, a number of ASL interpreters, in my classes.  One interpreter, at Alabama, was rather chronically late to class, so she taught me a few rudimentary signs to help the student keep up until she got in.

One quarter at Athens Tech, I had two deaf students, each with her own interpreter.  It turned out that both the interpreters were knitters.  One morning, I was wearing a hooded sweater I had made, and rather than the usual "Good Morning" when they came in, one of them said,  "That's Noro, isn't it?"  She then admitted to being an unrepentant yarn snob, "never ever" using anything but top quality yarn in her work.

As, I assume, every knitter realizes, good yarn does make a remarkable difference in a project.  Personally, I've not always been able to afford top of the line yarn;  in fact, the Noro for the sweater mentioned above was on deep clearance in my favorite Nashville yarn shop.  It took me a while to find enough matching skeins in the big sale bin for any size project.

I've worn sweaters and scarves and gloves made from Red Heart, and from K-Mart store brand yarn.  I've worn things made from pricey yarn my mother got from the yarn store for which she did custom work.  I've knit with Caron and Habu.  I like Lion Brand, and I've had Fun Fur in my stash.  That made me no less a knitter than someone who only use cashmere or quiviut or Manoush.

Look. . .  Knit what you want.

Knit the way you want.

Use yarns that make you comfortable, in every way.

Knit to be happy,

to be creative,

to relax.

Not compete.

Comments

  1. Awww. All good things to keep in mind .Knitting is my JOY. That's why im unabashadly knitting granny slippers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this post just totally brightened up my day. I love your outlook! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Cold Shoulders

There were 589 stitches!  They were the beginning of this: It's the Superior Waves Shawl from Willow Yarns.  This is one of the kits Kathy was asking about the other day.
Speaking of which, here are this week's questions: Sure sign of Springs: bugs.  Has anything bitten you yet? No, though the carpenter bees are back flying around the bench on the front porch. Do you knit for practice?  I don't mean for gauge;  for a stitch pattern? If I have, I don't remember. Have you tried One Touch Latte for your coffee? Not a coffee drinker. Have you seen or tried Persi laundry detergent? I'd never heard of it 'til now. When was the last time you wore one of your own handknits? Over the weekend --- some socks made from Noro.
If the waves shawl weren't keeping me busy enough, I'm also working on 28's Cousin 53.  I'm making it out of yarn that will turn purple when I wear it in the sun. What will they think of next?

Hmmm?

Yesterday would have been my mother's 88th birthday.  I don't say that looking for sympathy --- it's just that the arithmetic surprised me.  Then I realized that next year, my husband would have been 70.  That is hard to get my mind around.
The shades-of-blue feather and fan shawl (the 589-stitcher) had to go into the "Maybe Another Day" file.  Somewhere along the way, I lost the pattern stitch and couldn't fix it without frogging way, way back.  It's irritated me to no end, but there really wasn't anything else to do.
Something occurred to me the other day.  If this is already being done, I didn't know, so I'm not trying to steal anyone's thunder.  You know those cake/cocoa/cookie mixes in a jar? Why couldn't that be done with yarn "cakes"?  


Babes

Hooray;  baby giraffe has arrived! Next to his parents, he looks almost like a toy, but when you put him next to anything else, you realize his size.  He's already taller than me: 5'9".
There's a naming contest for him.  I submitted "Reveille," as his arrival trumpeted us all awake yesterday.  That came to me as I was tumbling names around in my head.  His sire's name is Oliver, which, backward --- revilo --- brought Reveille to mind.
Babies are also front and center knitting-wise.  Two people in my orbit are expecting --- one having a boy, the other a girl.  I'm going with basics just now --- burp cloths, wash cloths, etc.  There's a little time yet in both pregnancies, so there's time to decide on the fancier things.  This is my first knitwear model, now waiting to be a big brother.  Time does fly.