Sunday, August 16, 2020

So. . . The South

I  was bred in, born in, and have lived all my life in the South.  I am generally proud to be a Southerner, though there certainly have been (and still are) occasions when the behaviors and definitions here are deeply embarrassing

There are Southerners who are crass, loud, unwilling to move off their opinions and experiences.  There are Southerners who are kind, friendly, truly willing to learn and change if they should.  There are Southerners consumed by the gentility of their forebears, and with letting everyone else know that.

There are Southerners who are moneyed.  Some of that money is old, some of it recent.  There are people who say, and honestly mean, "Bless your heart."  There is snobbery and people who say, "Bless your heart" with a force and a tone that comes from way-too-far-on-high.  

There are Southerners who are educated, and let you know that.  There are Southerners who are educated and never bring it up.  There are Southerners who are not educated and cover the ignorance with bravado and bluster and the belief that louder is stronger.

And yes, I know that every region of the country has people with these characteristics.  My life, though, hasn't taken me out of the South all that often, and never anywhere long enough that my South-ness faded.  Maybe most of what separates us from everyone else is the sweet tea and The Accent.  And religion.  Don't even get me started on Bible-thumping and insincerity and hypocrisy and sarcasm that come off tongues in torrents.  

It's the insincerity that is criminal to me.  The words that seem barely capable of staying in a mouth until the back is turned.  The giving in to the pressure to present well.  The weight of ridiculous expectations to appear better than you are, becuase the importance of status in the South cannot be overstated.  Nor can the prevalence of disdain and entitlement among too many here.

And, by the way, I personally consider this:

"Western," not "Southern."

And SO flippin' cute.

1 comment:

Mereknits said...

Indeed very cute. I grew up in Michigan and moved to Virginia after college. I really had no idea it was southern. I just thought of it as a regular state but boy oh boy did I learn quickly how very southern it was. Gorgeous and southern. I miss the lovely accents, the charm but not the Conservative view p[int of those around me. Stay safe.

Look. . .

Someone (and you know who you are) said that my lion looks like a bear in a veterinary Elizabethan collar. And now I can't unseen it.