Wednesday, November 28, 2018

There's A Hole, There's A Hole

A couple of days ago, Tap hit on a spot in the side yard and started digging.

Now, I didn't have a clue what all the fuss was about.  He was determined, though, so I found myself torn between stopping him lest he uncover some sort of. . .  I don't know. . .   thing, or let him dig away.  He was fast and he was focused and the thought crossed my mind that maybe digging would tire him out.

Every.  Single.  Time he and I went outside, he tried to make a beeline for that spot.  (It's far enough away from the house to not pose a danger or threaten the "landscaping."  Besides, he was building up a nice pile of red Georgia dirt;  it wouldn't be difficult to fill the hole back in.)

By the way, I think "red Georgia dirt" is a more pleasing phrase than "cellar door."

Yesterday, he had gone so deep, his entire head fit in the hole:
I told you he was fast and focused.

He started sort of whining and wagging his tail, and I started steeling myself against a mole or something being pulled out, but

it was a root.

Not even a big root.

He pulled and he bit and he shook his head until that little root cleaved in two, and he was done.  No interest in the hole anymore whatsoever.

Kids, huh?

5 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Mission accomplished!

Bridget said...

Good job, Tap! You showed that root who's boss!

kathy b said...

Their noses are so much more accurate than ours. THat root had to smell great to him. I m glad you didnt find a bone!

kmkat said...

I was waiting for him to discover a body and you to call the FBI.

kathy b said...

Yesterday on our Wisconsin news I thought of you. A dog kept after a digging spot and found a Wooly Mammoth tooth. IT was huge. The museum folk said they areCOMMON in Wisconsin and it did not warrant a spot in their collection! wow

The Shared Experience

When my college roommate knit her first scarf, it was a super-long Dr. Who number, all in garter.  She was so proud;  I was proud of and hap...