Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Mr. Small-ish

Tap was neutered yesterday.  (And, yes, I checked with him and got his okay before sharing.)  Before I go further, let me remind you that he is 7 pounds, maybe 8" tall at the shoulder, and his slowest gait is a prance-y trot.

Okay.  I drop him off yesterday morning, pick him up yesterday afternoon.  I got the usual "no running, jumping, playing" talk, along with the standard warning about keeping him from licking or chewing the incision site.  And see, neither of these is going to happen, because he is 4 months old and all moving around.  I ask if they have a no-chew cone for him to wear, and am told, "His scrotum was so small, he probably won't get too itchy."


On the way home --- on.  the.  way.  home.--- he is chewing and licking.  To Petsmart with us, then.  I buy the smallest collar they have (which comes with a lavender-infused calming disc, even.)  When we get home and put it on him, he jumps and runs in circles trying to get out of it.  (Remember the "no running, jumping" instruction?)  He scratches at it trying to get it off, and gets his front leg stuck. More than once.


New cone collar today.  There's swelling, but no inflammation, around the incision.  He seems to be pain-free.  I called the shelter, as they told me to do if I have any questions, but they haven't returned my call.  It's wait, and keep an eye on the boy's undercarriage.

2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Well that is a worthwhile hobby--scrotum examiner.

kathy b said...

Oh dear. Mr Cricket from years ago was in agony after his neutering. Agony I tell you. He was determined to get at it with the cones on. He rolled and rolled to get it off if he wasnt leashed . I begged my vet friend for a sedative for him No luck. Hope your guy is much more inclined to nap the time away

Sleepy

I'm unsure whether all the adrenaline stirred up Friday night has finally worn off, but I am so weary today.  Sleepy.  I feel good, thou...