Sunday, March 25, 2018

Disobedience

Yesterday would have been my mother's 89th birthday.  She did not like, she did not approve of, in fact, she loathed boycotts, protests, walkouts.  Once, students at my middle school were going to protest something that involved the cafeteria.  (I do not remember this at all, but she told this story on a number of occasions.)  Her message to me was, "If I find out that you ever did anything like that. . ."  Yes, she ended with that ominous mother trail-off.

Still, I could not not spend yesterday with the March For Our Lives.  Several hundred people --- lots of whom were high school, middle school, and elementary school students --- gathered at the UGA Arch to say that we cannot go on like this any longer.

As a mother, I have taken my children to school in the days after school shootings elsewhere and watched them walk away with a lump in my throat, and a knot in my stomach.

As a teacher, I have walked into a classroom on the first day and taken mental notes on how to lock the doors and where to tell my students to hide.

This is not right.

Somebody help.


2 comments:

Kim in Oregon said...

Glad you went Twinnie. I didn't go because of something that happened Friday (the last day of finals week for winter term). One of my colleagues got an email from a student's Canvas account (Canvas being our course management software) saying "If you give me an A+ I will give you $2000 or more. If you don't, I will shoot you with my gun." The police said around noon that it was a 'non credible' threat and today an email came out saying the student's account was compromised. But it truly freaked me out, and it still does. Which means, basically, I should have gone but I couldn't. Just couldn't.

kathy b said...

Proud of you for going! God Bless everyone . THose poor kids

Who Could This Be?

Well, it's an animal, I'll give you that much of a clue.  But what kind  of animal?  You can leave guesses in the comments, and mayb...