Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Play's the Thing

11.  Play
Okay, this is a word that has lots of uses in my life.
"Plays" which count Briton as one of their cast members.  "Plays" (in high school) which counted Briton AND Hannah among their casts.

"Play" a musical instrument.  In elementary school, I played clarinet.  Hannah played it in her middle school orchestra.  But I have always wanted to play drums.  Always.  Driving around a few weeks ago, I was suddenly and inexplicably seized with the idea that I should learn to play drums.  Or cello.  Where the cello came in, I have absolutely no idea.  Turns out drum kits are very expensive, and I really don't have any place to set one up.  So, cello it became.  I had my 4th lesson this week.  Not really far enough along to grade my proficiency.

Hannah named her "Adelaide."

"Play" as in games.  The three of us, plus most of Hannah and Briton's friends, really love games like Bezzerwizzer, Loaded Questions, UNO Scrabble, Apples to Apples, etc.  A couple of us (who shall go unnamed) can get, uhmmm, pretty competitive.

"Play" music --- If we're going somewhere, Hannah can't even get to the end of the driveway without plugging in her iPod.  Briton might wait a couple of blocks.  Which means the only time I listen to music is when I'm driving alone, or take a notion to turn some on when I'm just sitting around the house.  On shuffle, these are the first ten titles on my iPod:
1.  "Did I Shave My Legs for This?" by Deana Carter
2.  "Sweet Baby James" by James Taylor
3.  "My Love is as a Fever, Longing Still" a Shakespearean sonnet read by John Hurt
4.  "Cure for the Common Heartache" by Terri Clark
5.  "Stayin' Alive" by the Bee Gees
6.  "I Can See Clearly Now" by Johnny Nash
7,  "Sea of Heartbreak" by Rosanne Cash and Bruce Springsteen
8.  "High Sierra" by Linda Ronstadt
9.  "The Jealous Kind" by Delbert McClinton
10.  "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac

What are you playing?

No comments:

Who Could This Be?

Well, it's an animal, I'll give you that much of a clue.  But what kind  of animal?  You can leave guesses in the comments, and mayb...